Boost

What to DO to GET Referrals
Core: Officers Have A Core | Boost
Conversation lead by the: Brookhaven Team (100% Qualified)

and Mentors give new Members a jump start
on referral generating success. Mentors share what they know so new Members come up to speed quickly.

• If you were mentoring a new employee in your industry, what is the first principle you would share with them?

Why is this principle the foundation to all future success in your business?

22 Responses to Boost
  1. Doug Wheeler
    March 13, 2020 | 10:04 am

I would tell them you should be nice. Even when the customer is a DUD! You can make them leave. But be nice.

2. Marnell Bradfield
    March 15, 2020 | 8:40 am

I talk to them about integrity. My definition of integrity is “Doing the right thing even when no one is looking or listening”!
    That is the center of the wheel when talking to a new employee and the spokes around integrity are relationships, attitude, responsibility, quality, dependability to name a few.

3. Mark Biller
    March 15, 2020 | 12:35 pm

I always tell them since we are in the home security business….listen to them they will tell you what they are looking for you/Ackerman to install in their home so they feel safe….From there you can direct them to what equipment and why it will accomplish their peace of mind.
    If you do this successfully it is a better then 90% chance you will be the company they choose to purchase and have them monitor their security sytem with.

4. Linzy Parsons
    March 16, 2020 | 11:18 am

The most basic principle of insurance is to make one whole again. The purpose of this is to set back the insured to the same financial position that existed before the loss or damage occurred. I have a duty to make sure my clients understand how their insurance will protect them. For example, provisions in a homeowners policy outline whether a claim will be valued at cash or replacement value – with or without depreciation. It’s important to me that my clients understand this upfront to help manage their expectations later when they have a claim.

5. Brad Cohen
    March 17, 2020 | 4:21 pm

The biggest principle of planning is listening to what is important to the clients. Once I know what the goals are, we can come up with a plan to meet them. Making sure to listen to all the goals is very important.

6. Stacie Conner
    March 17, 2020 | 4:33 pm

I would tell any new family law attorney to find out what is most important to the client, and to work toward that goal in all actions taken in the case. It is the client’s case and it is our job to help them navigate the law and the legal system to achieve their desired outcome. We also have to be realistic with our clients and not over promise a desired outcome. By managing a client’s expectations early on, they will be satisfied with the outcome even if it is not everything they wanted.

7. Elly Gray
    March 17, 2020 | 4:37 pm

If I were mentoring someone new in my business I would tell them to listen to what the client wants so that you can be sure to meet their needs in your response (if possible). Returning phone calls and emails is helpful as well as it will set you above the competition!

8. Blake Hampton
    March 17, 2020 | 4:51 pm

As a physical therapist, whenever I am mentoring someone new to the particular setting or even a new graduate I always tell them to focus the patient or client on their goals in order to increase compliance with the plan of care. If the patient sees how you are going to help them on the journey to reaching there goals, they instantly can see the value in the service. At the times when progress inevitably starts to slow, this is also a good time to reorient the patient to their goals in order to motivate them to continue the journey to recovery. The goals are the reason the patient is coming to see us and we have to be mindful of that and include the patient in that process to enroll them into the healthcare team.

9. Aaron Morrison
    March 17, 2020 | 5:53 pm

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood.” Before I can hope to guide my client toward their desired outcome, I must understand first where they want to go and then what the problem that’s preventing them from getting there. My function is to identify the mental blocks and limiting beliefs holding them back from reaching their goal, and help remove them. I want to achieve the greatest result in the shortest time, and I find that is best accomplished through listening and asking targeted questions to gain a full and complete understanding of the problem. “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” – Abraham Lincoln

10. Robert Steinhardt
    March 18, 2020 | 7:35 am

The first principle that i would share with them is to be curious. In my industry I’m constantly helping clients in all types of businesses, and not one of them is the same. So when you first meet with them, ask a lot of questions, be curious, it’ll show your interest in their business and it’ll give you a leg up on your competition

Curiosity also helps in the accounting field because the laws are changing constantly, so it’s important to want to keep up with that.

Why is this principle the foundation to all future success in your business?

Without curiosity you’ll fall behind, because it will show a lack of caring and clients want to see that you care.

11. Mark Galvin
    March 18, 2020 | 6:03 pm

They need to do the work themselves before they ask someone else to manage social media. There are soo many nuisances to how each platform works, one cannot lead a group of ePublicists without interacting with each platform personally.

Our work is so personal! We are typically posting on behalf of individuals and if we are not as accurate and thorough as possible, someone in their audience will send them a note corrected THEM not us!

12. Duane Mitchell
    March 18, 2020 | 6:28 pm

I would tell someone that I’m mentoring in the real estate business that it’s huge to get to know your market area very well so that you become an expert and come across very knowledgeable to your clients. It’s all about knowing your market area and building relationships! That by applying these principles your clients will trust you and will refer you future business!

13. Valerie Brutti
    March 19, 2020 | 9:36 am

I encoourage them to have a morning routine which includes gratitudes, positive reading, review of daily/weekly goals and hot/warm list. This sets their day up perfectly to respond to any other challenges and is the foundation for any other tools or learning that they may need to tackle.

14. Heather Nadler
    March 19, 2020 | 10:25 am

I would tell a new elder and special needs law attorney that this sub-set of the law is not one in which an attorney should ‘dabble.’ If you want to practice these specialties then you need to commit to them and stay up to date on the everchanging landscape of Medicaid, Social Security, Medicare, probate law… the list goes on an on. I’ve seen (and cleaned up) some pretty significant messes over the years that were the result of dabbling attorneys.

15. Blake Beyer
    March 19, 2020 | 4:37 pm

As an ATM company owner, I would tell them that the foundation of your business will be the relationships you build with your clients, and that foundation is built on trust, integrity, and selflessness. Start your relationships with an honest conversation about the opportunity, explain how the relationship will unfold, and always be available. Remember bad news never gets better with age, and handling a bad situation well will say more about you than the easy stuff.

16. Dawn Martin
    March 19, 2020 | 7:49 pm

The first principle that I would share with someone new to the legal staffing industry is the importance of staying genuinely curious. When we are actively engaged in learning about an attorney’s story and business, we can be specialized matchmakers. We learn about the unique experience and career goals for the attorneys and paralegals that are on our roster and connect that with the law firm partner or in-house attorney that can enjoy that skill set and experience (and personality) to reach her goal.

17. Scott McMahan
    March 19, 2020 | 8:23 pm

A new business litigation attorney needs to understand that a new matter is like a lot decisions facing business owners: its a business decision. However, a lot of business owners may be involved in their first lawsuit and so they don’t have all the information they need to make an informed decision. The best thing to do is walk a new client through the process, make sure they understand what a case looks like, and let them make an informed decision on what to do next. Once they’ve made that decision, to provide them with options that meet their goals.

18. Duane Stork
    March 19, 2020 | 8:33 pm

I would tell a new photographer to volunteer to shoot for non profits that he/she cared about and then ask the the director of the non profit “Who is the biggest contributor to your cause. Then ask if they would be willing to share with you or better yet introduce you to the chairman of that group. Have lunch/coffee with them and volunteer to shoot the big event that brings the money to the non profit. That way you will be contributing to their cause and setting yourself up to be a contributor on their level. That way over time they will think of you when they need photography.

19. Greg McCahan
    March 20, 2020 | 9:51 am

I recommend that an employee new to community banking first needs to change the way they worked at a larger company. If they focus on the product before the relationship they will get both the relationship and the product wrong.

20. Marlon Rhine
    March 20, 2020 | 10:35 am

When I first started my business, an older lawyer explained to me the importance of doing what you say you will do. For the cases we handle, this means setting reasonable expectations up front and communicating as much as possible. Trust is of the utmost importance between an attorney and their client, and it’s important that this is established up front.

21. Ben Ragin
    March 20, 2020 | 11:05 am

There are two foundational principals that I instill in new agents.

1.) Be 100% true to your word. If you say you’re going to do something, do it. Clients rely on us to give sound advice and be there in their time of need. You cant be flaky in this industry and leave clients holding the bag.

2.) If you don’t know the answer to a question don’t answer it. Go find the correct answer rather than guessing the right answer. We’re bound to our clients by a fiduciary relationship and bound by the insurance company with a legal contract. If you don’t know what the insurance contract says you cant assume anything, every company is different and if you tell a client the wrong thing they could be on their own in the event of a claim.

22. Ralph Amos
    March 20, 2020 | 11:59 am

1 – Digital marketing is never done! It is an ongoing process and can always be improved. It is a long term committment.

2 – Everything we do is to improve the digital standing of our client. We CAN and WILL help them find new clients and make more money.