Scene for Success

What to DO to GIVE Referrals
ZigZag: Invitations| Scene for Success
Conversation lead by the: Cumberland Team

and Everything starts with an invitation.

Identify an area of life where you are excellent at invitations: are you successful inviting people out on a date, or to church, or for lunch? Maybe you’re good at inviting prospects to become clients, or Visitors to become Members.

Share your invitation script.

Set the scene, then tell us what you say.

19 Responses to Scene for Success
  1. Joann Taylor
    April 13, 2020 | 3:45 pm

Anyone who knows me, knows I am chatty!! Sorry! Great for my profession–verbalizing and talking up the attributes in planning, measuring and the details about some pretties they want me to install in their home.
    I seem to get along with 95% of the people who want me to handle their windows for them and usually, they don’t know what they don’t know and LOVE THE IDEA of me being knowledgeable and willing to jump into the vat of grapes with my boots on or not!
    So many of my wonderful clients are allowing me to design and take care of those details remotely and are patient to wait until the “all clear” bell rings and we can get down to getting something really done for their home. Hey, I love planning in advance!

I am persuvasive–patient–understanding–funny—have a wicked sense of humor and I can tell a funny joke that seems to surprise everyone that I am that humorous and can make them belly laugh! It’s a gift!!

But when you love fabric, hardware and the design field as much as I do—well, something gorgeous comes out of it and I can get my client as excited about this process as I get!!

So, “I get them at hello”—-pretty true for me. I love people and listen to their hearts about what they really want to see in their home and want to have around and enjoy for a long time.

It’s my thing and didn’t know what I was doing when I was a kid, but my Daddy said selling was in my blood and I would be hard to turn down.
    Thanks, Pop!

So, who needs some soft Southern hand holding to make that decision about drapery fabric for that Master Bedroom? Ding-ding-ding? Hello?

JOANN TAYLOR
    TAYLOR DESIGN, DECATUR

2. Jon Ongtingco
    April 14, 2020 | 10:00 am

I really enjoy playing with technology and sharing it with other people so I am always quick with an invitation to come by my office to check out our VR systems we have setup. I typically start with a, “Come on over some time and you can play around some.” and end the conversation somewhere around, “Well, you really have to call ahead because we are often out in the field, but I expect to be in the office all day next Friday, want to stop by that morning?”

Jonathan Ongtingco
    SOHO Data and Voice, Inc.
    678-213-2309

3. William Crumpler
    April 14, 2020 | 11:04 am

One of my hobbies is playing the piano (keyboard) for a choir at church. I’m also the choir director. Not only am I always searching for vocalist to enhance our sound, but I’m also searching within the choir for hidden soloist talent. My method to invite someone to lead a song is I will complement their singing several times over the course of a few weeks. Then, as I am teaching a sectional part I will ask them to help me teach it. Next, I will ask them to harmonize with me duet wise. Lastly, I will complement them again and tell them I believe they would do an excellent job singing the solo alone. This method gives them the comfort and confidence to agree to sing the solo.

4. Patrick Rodman
    April 15, 2020 | 4:42 pm

I know that this has always annoyed my family, but I have a habit of inviting folks who have nowhere to go on Thanksgiving to my families celebration. Now I wouldn’t just walk around and invite strangers at random, always friends or associates. It has been a couple of years since I have brought an outsider to Turkey day, that being said getting folks to do something that is uncomfortable for them is a lot like a sales pitch. First you ask the question what are you doing on Thanksgiving or if your a member of the Cumberland group, what are you doing from 7-8:30 Thursday morning. If the answer is nothing its a good time to say well would you be open to doing something that helped grow your business. Thanksgiving dinner isn’t forever and neither is one trip to a powercore meeting.

5. Mark Chase
    April 16, 2020 | 8:05 am

I enjoy introducing new member to the Cumberland team as a substitute. I then suggest that they attend as my guest the week before they substitute so I can introduce them and they can get comfortable with the meeting. I walk them through the meeting and explain the process flow off line and make sure they are comfortable with a 1 minute before they visit.

Mark Chase, CPA, CGMA
    Chase CPA, LLC
    AK Professional Resource Group, LLC
    678-234-9161

6. Rhonda Sterrett
    April 16, 2020 | 8:10 am

Before the shelter-in-place, I would love to introduce someone to join me in a Zoom meeting. Many hadn’t heard of it and were intrigued and once the meeting was done loved the concept as it saved some time and yet was very productive.
    For a PowerCore invite I enjoy inviting people I meet at a open networking meeting. You can get a sense of how they operate and engaging they are by talking with them and there is little to no pressure as you are usually talking about business.
    Rhonda Sterrett
    i360 Group
    Web Development
    678-234-9725

7. David Arnold
    April 16, 2020 | 8:44 am

Being in residential real estate, I have a lot of opportunities to connect people. I realized that the area of “invitations” I am best at, is connecting those people. Often I will suggest that a client work with one of my referral partners and they respond . . . “I already have someone” . . . I confidently reply that “Your person is NOT as good as my person” . . . I don’t let it go until they agree to my “invitation” to have a conversation with my contact.

David Arnold
    REMAX Around Atlanta
    770-312-5759
    David@HomerunAtlant.com

8. Michael Smith
    April 16, 2020 | 8:47 am

When I invite a visitor I generally ask them what they are currently doing to market their company. The next logical question is “do you want to grow your business”. If they say yes I share an experience or two that I have had with PowerCore and “tell” them that they need to attend a meeting. I try to follow up with e-mail to describe the meeting in a little more detail (including a sample info minute) and copy our Visitor Coordinator so they are aware of the invite. It’s a numbers game – if it doesn’t work for that potential member, it will work for someone else.

Mike Smith
    Momentum Construction
    (404) 551-4367

9. Melissa Beaird
    April 16, 2020 | 9:22 am

Do I am considered the social butterfly for a reason. I’m always the one setting up girls night out or planning parties for different occasions. Which in turn gives me an opportunity to talk about my business and PowerCore. I constantly tell people how much PowerCore has helped me grow my business which seems to get their attention. Another thing that works is having my book of business cards when people see I know that many different people to refer to it leads to questions of when,where and how I got this.

10. Melissa Beaird
    April 16, 2020 | 9:22 am

11. Rhonda Jones
    April 16, 2020 | 8:03 pm

I am very active in the community with my church, Kiwanis, schools, and tennis. I am excited to invite people to things that interest them or will help build their business. I start by getting to know what’s important to them, and I listen to learn more about their personal and business goals. If my connections can help them get closer to their goals, I’m happy to share an opportunity to join me in meeting professionals or community leaders who may be a good connection.

Rhonda Jones
    Financial Advisor
    2453 Powder Springs Rd. Ste 315
    Marietta, GA 30064
    678-567-0541

12. Lana Haynes
    April 17, 2020 | 7:41 am

I love to entertain! Providing great food, drinks and fun energy. I believe people gravitate to energy. The secret to a great PowerCore invite is to have an energetic team that enjoys giving and receiving referrals. Growing their business and ultimately making money. When you have that type of energy and believe in your team, the invitations are easy to make and the visitors want to be part of your team.

13. Jim Duelmer
    April 17, 2020 | 9:09 am

As an active member in the Smyrna business community, I frequently meet people who are trying to grow their business. I like to offer whatever advice I can to help them achieve the level of success they desire so I will invite them to lunch or coffee. The opportunity to visit one on one is something I enjoy and this often leads to referrals. Having a skilled and trusted group of referral partners has helped me become the “go to” guy for technical and professional advice among my peers.

Jim Duelmer
    Managing Partner
    Vinings Mortgage/Bank Of England
    678-626-1922

14. Brock Cline
    April 17, 2020 | 9:16 am

I invite all of my Insperity colleagues to visit a team. I explain how it has benefited me and posit that the same can be true for them. I also extend the invitation to new connections that I meet at other networking events. They are obviously interested in expanding their sphere of influence, but they are not going about it in the most efficient manner. Last, I invite my prospects and clients.

When someone asks me how I generate my book of business I explain that “I have a mix of sources, but my referrals come from a valuable closed network group formed with the explicit purpose of marketing for each other. Generally there is an open door policy…would you care to investigate it for yourself?”

15. Joy Edwards
    April 17, 2020 | 12:50 pm

I am excellent at planning “Games Nights” and inviting others. We usually have a core group and then invite a new person each round. I think using that experience to invite visitors to powercore would look along the lines of explaining to them the benefits and “fun” of powercore and how it can bring value to their business. We usually end up with people who keep coming back for more and more games nights once they have had the experience, like we hope the visitors experience will be with powercore.

16. Devona Downer
    April 17, 2020 | 2:45 pm

I am a social eater! When meeting someone new, where I feel the relationship could mutually benefit each other, I enjoy inviting them to grab a bite. I plot an eatery equal distance from both parties with a time and date the suits us. Very similar to the popular coffees we have as PowerCore Members—engaging with like minded professionals to discuss how we could potentially collaborate while learning about each other’s businesses is always done with intention and meaning. Being able to engage with individuals, while knocking out breakfast or lunch simultaneously has saved me time by knocking out two birds with one stone and has helped to build my network or gate openers tremendously.

17. Louis Beltrami
    April 17, 2020 | 3:37 pm

I have had the most success with invitations where I invite people to use one of my team members instead of a vendor they are currently working with. Usually, the conversation goes like this. They share a story about their current situation and how frustrated they are. For example, they say their internet will be down for a few days because they can’t reach their IT person, or that they hope that their HVAC person will be able to get their AC back on at the service call sometime next week. I share a real story about a person on my team and how they solved a similar situation for me or someone I know, and how they did it quickly and professionally. I give as many details as I can. I then add that I’ve watched that person consistently handle things that way for other people for more than 12 years. They almost immediately ask for the name and number of the person on my team that I’m talking about and it usually ends up working out well for both.

18. Erica Ramsey
    April 17, 2020 | 4:26 pm

I’m great at making the warm connection from one person to another to create immediate value – even if they haven’t met that person yet! I like everyone to feel comfortable and excited walking into our meeting for the first time.
    Example:
    We had an accident attorney share that he MIGHT be interested in visiting our team.
    Immediately (and enthusiastically) I said, “That’s great! Because Devona (our Personal Lines Insurance Agent) really needs to get to know you! And I know she will be delighted to make your acquaintance! And so will Dr. Frank, our chiropractor! Did you know he specializes in brain trauma?” and then I GOT QUIET (People who know me think this is impossible but oh no – I shut up – to hear and watch his response.)
    “I’ll be there this Thursday!” was the immediate response – which is what I wanted.
    I then added an extra dash of “YOU MUST COME TO OUR TEAM” by saying, “Outstanding. I know they will be looking for you and tell you what – I’ll go ahead and email all of you right now and make a virtual intro. That way if they have business simmering for you that they are aware of, you are locked and loaded, getting referrals, and ready for bear.”
    :0) (NOTE: No actual bears were harmed in this referral trigger).

19. Sam Farmer
    April 17, 2020 | 4:54 pm

I have had a lot of success in getting friends, family, and coworkers to watch high school football games with me. More often than not, the first invitation is a no.

The vast majority of these people are not particularly interested in the subject matter, but the success here really showed me if you have enough enthusiasm, humor and persistence, you can find a way to get people on board.

I have taken a similar approach in Commercial Real Estate to find clients, and I think a lot of people find the authenticity to be refreshing.