Curved or Straight

What to SAY to GET Referrals
Oval vs Rectangle: Referrals are Different than Sales| Curved or Straight
Conversation lead by the: Emory Team

and Give us a few of your price points. Tell us why you choose to be at the Bic, Schaefer, or Mont Blanc point in the price spectrum.

If your prices are competitive, tell us what customers aren’t paying for – Costco and Ikea don’t provide bags.

If your value is high, share what your customers get—an oil change at the Lexus dealer includes a new battery in the key fob.

23 Responses to Curved or Straight
  1. John Bennett
    May 1, 2020 | 9:22 am

We are in the middle to low end on our fees. The one think I decided to do was never add a bunch of smaller fees for every little thing we do. Many years ago when I was buying tires for my car, the final bill was $60 more than the estimate. I was told that the extra cost was for the stems on the tire. When I asked if I could get the tires without the stems, of course the answer was no. It made me mad that something I wouldn’t have thought to be an ‘extra’ was charged as an extra add-on. Last week a loan officer was surprised that we don’t charge sellers anything additional for getting mortgage payoffs. Well, that’s part of the settlement fee. You can’t sell a house without getting the mortgage payoff, so it’s not an ‘extra’ service. Our fees may not be the lowest, but clients get more services without paying extra.

2. Bill Kelly
    May 1, 2020 | 9:26 am

Insurance is unlike a physical product or a service you receive. It is basically a promise to pay if a list of perils happen to you, your stuff or your business. It is hard to see the value in insurance if all you do is write checks and have never file a claim. In our business “you get what you pay for” is very true. As for me, we can be a Bic, Schaefer or a Mont Blanc, although most of the time I am like a Schaefer. As an insurance professional for 20 years my job is to educate my clients on what is and is not covered, and the right program to protect their business. I need to point out what is and what is not covered in each policy. Maybe you start with just General Liability so you can lease your space, but we can’t stop there. What about mechanical breakdown? Glass? Hiring empolyees? What about errors and Omissions? It may seem like we have a never ending list of policies to sell, but that is because policies are so specific in what is and is not covered. When a claim occurs, not if but when, that is where my value will become evident. I am basically the one who will create the value and hopefully my clients will see they made the best choice by hiring me as their business insurance agent.

3. Chris Huber
    May 1, 2020 | 10:22 am

We are in the middle range of pricing. Many of our customers call wanting a specific item priced, but once we consult with them, many times we can offer a better solution for their specific need. We ask questions instead of being order takers. The price may be higher or lower than the original product they had in mind. We want to be able to offer a complete solution for the entire project, not just one piece. This helps alleviate our customers from having to go to multiple sources, wasting their time.

4. Nakia Sanford
    May 2, 2020 | 11:05 am

For me, there are 3 ways I get paid. Commissions, sales charges and Management fees. Commissions and Sales charges are transactional. Management fees are on going. Even though by law it is not required to provide the same level of service to my transactional clients, it is impossible for me to give anyone any less than my best service. My clients don’t mind paying me because I provide strategy not just products. It is not just my knowledge that retains my clients, it is also the fact that they know I care.

5. Clay Jeffreys
    May 4, 2020 | 10:37 am

Mortgages do not really have a range when it comes to price. Rates are determined by the loan program, down payment, credit score, and bond prices on the day locking the rate. There isn’t much flexibility. This said, our fees are in the middle to low end of the spectrum. We are not the lowest. If someone makes enough calls, they will eventually find a lower rate. The question is what do they get with the lower rate. Working with me, they get a dedicated loan officer on their file from start to finish and then after closing as I still answer my phone for clients even after their loan has closed :-). I will also work with my clients after hours, at night, weekends when we need to make sure the work is done. The same can’t be said for call centers. My clients get this without any additional fees or costs.

6. Anya Leybovich
    May 4, 2020 | 11:00 am

My price points are dictated by the companies that I represent. As an independent insurance agent my job is to provide my clients with a better feeling of security. When it comes to insurance there are two costs: the cost before a claim and the cost after one. My goal is to minimize both of these for my clients. I can be a Bic, Schaefer, or Mont Blanc based on the clients’ individual needs. However, I strive to provide added value past “writing an insurance policy”. My clients receive an insurance 101 walk through, to help them better understand their coverages. I also provide personalized assistance with any questions or policy changes, and every client has an assigned customer service representative that they are able to ask for by name.

7. Julie Jackson
    May 4, 2020 | 11:05 am

Honestly, I provide the same quality of service to all my clients. My rates are more on the low end for a massage house call, but that is not a reflection on the quality of service that I provide. My rates are such so that massage is more accessible to more people as I view massage as a component of healthcare and not a luxury. I even have discounted rates for some seniors that are on a fixed income and would not be able to afford massage otherwise.

8. Matt Hirsch
    May 4, 2020 | 11:10 am

Generally speaking, a person charged with a felony offense will be charged more than someone who is facing a misdemeanor offense. Or a traffic violation. Certainly, depending on the nature of the offense, the stakes are higher on felony offenses. However, I would argue that a DUI (a misdemeanor) could potentially have worse ramifications than some felonies. A person faces up to a year in jail, and up to $1000 fine on misdemeanor cases. Felonies are offenses that have much greater consequences.

9. Natalie Vuoriaho
    May 4, 2020 | 11:29 am

In Real Estate we are paid a % in commission. Higher sales price= higher commission. With that said I believe in providing 5-star service to all my clients regardless of price point. I believe due to my experience, attention to detail, effective communication skills, and problem-solving skills I would be considered Mont Blanc with potentially a Bic, Schaefer, or Mont Blanc price point.

10. Jessica Santucci
    May 4, 2020 | 11:35 am

I keep my price point very simple…I charge $150 per treatment session. For a physical therapy cash pay practice, I am not the highest around, but also not the lowest. I chose this price point because I believe that my 20 years of experience and my one-on-one patient care model is worth it. My clients get individual attention, a comfortable and private treatment setting, and a therapist with extensive manual therapy treatment skills. And now, one who is able to do telehealth visits as an extra safety precaution.

11. Michael Morse
    May 4, 2020 | 11:36 am

We fall in the middle price tier and our basic plan at $299/monthly is actually a lot lower than the majority of our competition. With what we provide we can be a full service Digital Marketing Agency where we cover Local/SEO, Review Marketing, Online Paid Ads, and Social Media. But we like the approach of fitting in where it makes sense for a client’s budget and expectations. I take the consultative approach and really listen to what each client needs. One client could just be starting their business and needs to build a foundation first. Another could solely be focused on leads coming to them. Hearing those expectations tells me what plan I recommend and also how much they should be spending. I always want to be transparent and tell them exactly what they are getting at each price point. Transparency and a relationship are the main key points I want a client to know they are getting when they partner with me.

12. Mary Kelly Coughlin
    May 4, 2020 | 12:53 pm

One of the best things about how Paychex prices their prodcuts and services is its scaleable model. I work closely with the customers to find out exactly what they do and do not need. It also varies on the employee count and pay freuency. We are able to build a customizable solution for the client to fit their exact needs. This makes us competitive in the market space and also builds trust with the client that we are not just a 1 size fits all solution. We will never be the cheapest because we provide a higher level of individualize support but we are not the most expensive because we do understand our market is small businesses and we want to be conscientious of that.

13. Marnell Bradfield
    May 4, 2020 | 2:51 pm

Bye Bye Dirt offers a variety of services. We are in a competitive market and while we offer fair prices, the way we clean is a high value. We use high quality products above industry standard which are non toxic to clients and environment. Our level of clean is to get the dirt out which goes above the standard of making it look clean.

14. Jennifer Yoxall
    May 4, 2020 | 6:02 pm

Yoxall Family Law is a boutique law firm that offers high-end representation in all matters pertaining to the family but not at boutique prices. With 16 years of experience, Yoxall Family Law is designed in such a fashion where I can offer my clients expertise at affordable prices.

Additionally, my representation can often times be seen as curved and not a straight line because I fight hard to get my clients awards by the Court and/or negotiations for reimbursement of these fees. In other words, my client can be reimbursed for the attorney’s fees paid to me.

15. Dr. Eldred Taylor
    May 5, 2020 | 5:25 am

A new patient office visit is $150 for a 30 min session, $300 for an hour. IV treatments begin at $99 and can be as much as 400. I am at the Lexus price point. I give each patient individualized attention. I really know my patients and they know me. I do not run a factory assembly line practice. I provide services that are not usually offered at other medical practices.

16. Valerie Lyles
    May 5, 2020 | 12:49 pm

As a commercial Interior design professional, I can charge many different ways. It all depends on the client and the scope of work that they are envisioning me to create for them. The billable options that they can select from is hourly rate ($115.00), flat fee with a guaranteed max, if product is a part of it then, cost-plus or a combination. When purchasing furniture, artwork, accessories and draperies, I will offer these items at the trade cost plus 20-25% in addition to the hourly rate.

It is very similar to buying a new mid to high end vehicle in-regards to the choices that you make when deciding the brand, make and model that you want to purchase. Together we will build the prototype, then I price it out, share the estimate with them, answer any questions and wait for their decision. The client may sign off on the bottom line of the estimate turned contract immediately or review further and deduct a few items they can live without or add a few more features to it. It can take several going back and forth. Again, very much like purchasing a new car! It is an investment!

17. Chad Meisner
    May 5, 2020 | 1:39 pm

As a franchise owner on the Ameriprise Financial Services platform I get to determine what I want to charge for financial planning. We have different price points based on complexity, ranging from $600/person to as much as $5,000 for business owners who want more in-depth analysis. That being said, I believe we are very affordable in comparing other planning firms in Atlanta. You might not get the fine china in the plush waiting room, but we feel like clients prefer the lower cost to lavish office space, etc.
    Asset management is a pretty standard fee, but does get compressed for clients with larger assets. For example, someoene with a $50,000 account might pay roughly 1.5% on assets vs. someone with $5,000,000 would pay 1% or less. In the absence of value, it won’t matter what you are charging clients, they will find value elsewhere. So we prefer to provide as much value via the financial planning process that we can, as we believe it’s our best differentiator.

18. Rebecca Brizi
    May 5, 2020 | 2:21 pm

In setting my pricing I purposely avoided the luxury / standard / economy model.

All my services are based on my hourly price, and I then built service offerings that would allow me to work with numerous clients at once rather than one or two clients at a time.
    If a client wants to buy my time for a full week, they can do so (though that is not my usual business model) and they pay the same, per hour, as somebody who buys a $1000 off the shelf service. Value remains the same, we only change the scope.

19. Courtney Goldman
    May 5, 2020 | 8:15 pm

My family portrait pricing is on the higher end, but of course what a client ultimately spends is based on what they buy.

My average sale is about $1,250. I recently had a client who purchased a handful of digital images and a large canvas wrap – she spent around $850. Another client purchased a few digitals, some small prints, a large metal print and medium sized framed print – he spent about $1,750. A 3rd client purchased digitals, a few metal prints, and an album – she spent $2,500.

High quality printed products, over 12 years of full-time photography experience, and personal and professional help from me through the entire process all set me apart from lower priced photographers. I do not simply show up to take photos and deliver all of the photos electronically. Everything is done with the client’s personality and style in mind.

20. Sheldon Baker
    May 6, 2020 | 2:58 pm

As an insurance broker my primary goal is making sure I give the client what they want plus some by searching the market for the best value (product structure/coverage/premium). Insurance is truly about assembling individual parts/coverage for each individual client whether it be individual term life, permanent life, long term care, long/short term disability or group benefits for companies such as health, dental, vision, life, disability, supplemental plans. Every client is unique and I personally think I’m a Scheaffer or Mont Blanc as this is the price points I find the greatest value for my clients with respect to products. If you go cheap, you’re losing value from a product coverage standpoint as well as a revenue standpoint. I can be a BIC if need be as we have this built into our business model but I prefer not to go down this road.
    Customers get “all-hands-on-deck” when it comes to accessibility to me directly in discussing their policy, things they need but aren’t sure how to get it such as insurance cards, figuring out if their prescriptions are covered on their plans, are their doctors in-network or not, help filing claim, help with a claim, knowing that I’ve exhausted every option for them when it comes to finding the best plan/product(s) for them in the market that I know of. The list goes on and on but the bottom line is my clients get complete commitment, absolute care and passion with every communication they have with me. They get the Mont Blanc quality of service with access to the Scheaffer prices points as this is where the broader market writes their policies.

21. Brian Moon
    May 6, 2020 | 3:59 pm

When it comes to Business Loans, Home Equity Lines of Credit, and Home Loans we do not really have a range when it comes to price. Rates are determined by the type of program, credit score, debt to income ratio, and for business loans debt service coverage. There isn’t much flexibility. This said, our fees are in the middle to low end of the spectrum based on other lenders. We are not the lowest. If someone makes enough calls, they will eventually find a lower rate or price. The question is what do they get with the lower rate or price. Working with me, they get a dedicated Banker on their file from start to finish and then after closing when we open a deposit relationship, the client still has full access to me and all other services within our bank. I will also work with my clients after hours, at night, weekends to make sure the work is done. The same can not be said about most competitors in my industry. My clients get this without any added fees, charges, or headaches.

22. Tammy
    May 7, 2020 | 9:07 am

A single workout without a commitment is $70 however the most popular way clients purchase my service is through a membership. At $189 a month, a client gets 13 strength training workouts a quarter (typically done once a week) and that is competitively priced to a personal trainer.

Clients get one-on-one attention, in a private setting, with computer software that helps them keep motivated for the 20 minute appointment and technology that makes it possible to achieve the goal of the exercise in the least amount of time.

What my clients don’t get is; excess wear and tear on joints & tendons that longer workouts using traditional equipment will produce.

23. Zeke Andrews
    May 7, 2020 | 7:31 pm

The average fee for therapy is between $60 to $120, I charge $100 for a session. It’s aimed to be brief and solution-focused. What the clients aren’t paying for is Intakes, Assessments and treatment planning. All this is taken care of in the complimentary consultation with me. Normally this takes maybe two or three sessions. Then, it may take weeks or even months before the issues are addressed. In the first session, we will begin the process of getting the change you desire.
    The Transformation you always wanted. In addition to Greater Emotional Intelligence. Having the ability to master one’s own emotional state. It even improves one’s relationships with significant others, co-workers, friends and family members, by being able to recognize and handle others’ emotions. But also, having the ability to manage motivation and determination while gaining the benefits of relaxation and stress mitigation.