On Base

What to DO to GET Referrals
Rectangle: The Shape of Your Deposits| On Base
Conversation lead by the: Marietta Square Team

and Take a look at a We Did Business slip. Where are the goal posts for you on either side of an On Base referral?

• Is it the amount of time you spend with this client?
  • The size of their business?
  • The length of time between introduction and decision?
  • The proximity to your quota requirement?

Tell us what makes you check On Base.

23 Responses to On Base
  1. Wendy Kinney
    May 29, 2020 | 10:14 am

An On Base Member ticks the boxes.
    They attend, have a Sub, pay their bill on time – and that’s all. They fill a seat.

On Base Members don’t participate in leadership, don’t look for ways to make the Team better, don’t create referrals [they are reactive about referrals – if someone asks, they offer, but they don’t initiate referrals] don’t invite Visitors, or initiate coffee.

On Base is okay – but when it’s a HOT Seat, they are keeping a potential Home Run or Grand Slam Member from joining. On Base is just about the money – Grand Slam is about the initiative.

2. Lisa Marie Papp
    May 29, 2020 | 10:32 am

An On Base referral is someone who is having issues with their technology that needs immediate attention which can be resolved with hardware replacement, clean up of the system from viruses or malware or involve an industry service expert.
    An On Base referral can be a business that needs the same immediate services, a Consultant to assess their technology needs for their particular business or technology expert for a specific project.
    We look at an On Base referral as an opportunity to take care of the technology issues, to establish a relationship of trust that will eventually round the bases to a Home Run.
    CSN is about “making technology work for you”.

3. Lynn Nelson
    May 29, 2020 | 1:44 pm

On Base for my real estate law practice usually means a typical closing. A closing can go from On Base to Home Run or Grand Slam depending on how large a sale or refinance loan is involved.
    I consider On Base a great opportunity to build a relationship that can turn into future Home Runs and Grand Slams.

4. Erik Thompson
    May 29, 2020 | 2:05 pm

An on base goal post for me is a combination of both the account size and the strength of relationship. A larger account but less strong relationship would be on base and so would a smaller account with a strong relationship.

5. Eric Sapoznik
    May 29, 2020 | 2:25 pm

For me and my business in commercial real estate the “on base” goal posts will depend on the amount of time from start to finish, size of their business and the commission. I treat every client the same, whether they need a short space or a large space. They all get the all-star treatment because my goal is to help as many people as possible. Commercial real estate transactions can take a long time, so I have to look at a combination of all three factors to determine the difference between on base, home run and grand slam. If it is a small business with a small space those can take just as long as looking for a large space. When I help the smaller businesses and they see how much I do to save them time, money and stress it can lead to future referrals or helping their business again in the future, so most of my transactions end up being in home run or grand slam because I am looking at this from a long-term perspective. A shorter term lease will usually generate a smaller commission, so any time I help someone with a lease less than 3 years it will usually fall into the on base category. Sometimes my commissions are paid out monthly, so each time I get paid may be considered as an on base We Did Business, but overall it would end up being a home run or grand slam if it was coming in as a one or two time payment like most transactions are. My goal is to help all business owners, whether they are a small or large business and make sure they know I am doing everything I can to find them the best location, at the best rate and with the most fair and tenant friendly contract for leases or best investment for sellers and buyers.

6. John Trybalski lski
    May 29, 2020 | 2:30 pm

My on base goal is client acquisition. I know that once I acquire a client, they will be my client for years so it doesn’t matter how large their purchase is initially because experience has shown me they will be a source of ongoing business and referrals far into the future.

7. Philip Ladin
    May 29, 2020 | 2:35 pm

An on base referral is a referral who needs help regarding a family law issue. A family law issues, consists of (1) either party needing a divorce, (2) a modification of custody, child support and/or visitation or (3) a contempt motion where one of the parties has not complied with a divorce order or a modification order.

What is interesting is that while a referral for a divorce is an on base referral, it may become a grand slam depending on the actual needs of the referral and the complexity of the situation.

8. Mike Grayeski
    May 29, 2020 | 7:28 pm

ServiceWise Electric is know for building a rapport with most if not all of our customers. Just because our first service call with a client is “on Base” does not mean it was not advantageous. We can sometimes spend two hours educating a customer on how and grounding system or GFCI outlets work for a mere $99. We focus on taking care of our clients and one day the Grand Slams will come.

9. Beth Hilbert
    June 1, 2020 | 4:18 pm

I consider a person to be on base when they have accessed my website on their own or with me. They have sent the free card and know how easy the system is to use. They intend to use the system and have signed up on the enhanced account with a monthly fee of $17. The “time” it takes to get to this base is not something I take into consideration. Time varies dependent on each individual person. The question is, will they stay on first base or work their way around to home plate?

10. Chris Duncan
    June 1, 2020 | 5:08 pm

The on base is purely a monetary value for me. If the order invoices for less than $100 dollars then its an on base. Happy to have the order, but really hoping its a door opener to bigger and better orders.

11. Jon LaMonte
    June 1, 2020 | 11:19 pm

As a building and remodeling contractor, painting, from a dollars and cents perspective, can be an “On Base” referral. However, while a paint job is not a big job for us, it can often lead to other opportunities. Those opportunities could in turn be a Home Run or even a Grand Slam.

12. Scott Tufford
    June 2, 2020 | 9:17 am

As a residential real estate broker an “on base” starts with a home buyer or seller that is motivated and ready to act. The time frame can within 60 days. From a price range aspect this would typically be a first time buyer or a seller selling their first home.

First time buyers are great clients who often refer me to other like minded people.

13. Debbie Waldrep
    June 2, 2020 | 10:04 am

An on base referral as an insurance agent starts with a conversation/introduction about their current insurance needs, and building off of that to create the relationship of trust and credibility. If that relationship is established from the start, even if I cannot help them, they appreciate the time spent and effort/advice given and that turns into future referrals!

14. Jim McKinney
    June 2, 2020 | 10:12 am

as a mortgage banker, it all starts withe the borrower’s pre-qualification process. Once pre-qualified, The sooner the borrower can go under contract to purchase a new home and set a closing date the better the referral is for me, If a referral is Looking to finance over $300,000 on their Mortgage then I have improved pricing and interest rates and that also means a larger commission for me. However, I get the greatest sense of job satisfaction helping first time home borrowers realize their dream of becoming a new homeowner.

15. Paul Shimek
    June 2, 2020 | 2:39 pm

At the Law Office of Paul Shimek we handle motor vehicle collision claims of all sizes, and each personal injury case is handled on a contingency fee basis. The amount of the fee is a specified percentage of the total recovery and is contingent on the outcome of the case. Under this arrangement our clients pay no fee unless we recover. We consider settlements under $25,000 to be on base.

16. Cheryl Richardson
    June 2, 2020 | 6:17 pm

An on base referral for me, as an Estate Planner is when the client wants basic estate planning documents: A last will and testament, powers of attorney for finance management and one for medical issues. These documents can lead to other needs such as quitclaim deed preparation, documents for minor children or even a Trust. These additional documents would move a referral from being on base to a home run or grand slam.

17. Raymond Jackson
    June 2, 2020 | 9:49 pm

The on base goal post for our company is solidified by frequency of service and the size of the facility. The frequency to which our clients require our services is due to their preferences, the amount of client traffic they receive or by what type of organization that they represent. A 4000 square foot IT company needing cleaning only once every other week is an on base. But a 4000 square foot medical practice that needs service every night is a home run. But the relationship that we build with both clients is detrimental to maintaining not only their business, but obtaining future endorsements from them to their colleagues.

18. KEITH A EARLY
    June 3, 2020 | 8:42 am

The on base goal post for me is determined by the amount of fees and the potential for ongoing work. I consider a tax return for an individual or small business to be on base. When the engagement involves ongoing accounting work and more complex accounting issues, I consider that to be a home run.
    Many times referrals that start out as on base evolve into home run business.

19. John Hyatt
    June 3, 2020 | 9:59 am

For me, an “On Base” goal post consists of making the first presentation for an audience or having that first session with one on one client to help them figure something out. I get to know and understand my client in order to help them move forward to getting what they want in business, leadership, or their personal life. They also get to know me enough to hear and understand my coaching model and process and to be inspired to make a commitment to working with me for a period of time in order for them to achieve success in the areas most important to them.

20. Armond Willis
    June 3, 2020 | 10:52 pm

An on base referral for me might be someone who is interested in a training program, has decided that we might be the best solution for their needs, but is still not 100 percent with a full commitment. They in turn decide to do a trial period first to get their feet wet, then potentially move forward to an extended membership.

21. Branden Evans
    June 4, 2020 | 7:07 am

An on base referral for me is someone who comes in for a consultation and receives treatment but they may not need an extensive amount of care. This type of patient usually just needs to take care of something minor they’ve been dealing with or only need to be seen for “maintenance”.

22. Nick Barzegar
    June 4, 2020 | 8:02 am

a on base referral for me is really anyone living under a roof who have not had their roof checked in the last 6-12 months. nick b

23. Steven Perry
    June 10, 2020 | 5:21 pm

An on base referral to me is someone who comes into my office for something simple like a easy return and makes it clear that they won’t be back because they “can handle it from here”. They tend to not cooperate with me to help them and I don’t really want to see them again unless they decide that it makes sense to cooperate with me so I can help them.