Out of the Park

What to DO to GET Referrals
Rectangle: The Shape of Your Deposits| Out of the Park
Conversation lead by the: Milton Team

and Take a look at a We Did Business slip. What are the parameters for you on a Grand Slam referral?

Do you mark a We Did Business slip Grand Slam because of the dollar amount, the uniqueness of the project, or the amount of time you spend to get the contract?

Tell us what makes you check Grand Slam.

21 Responses to Out of the Park
  1. Katie Sparks
    June 12, 2020 | 8:34 am

I check Grand Slam on a WE DID BUSINESS SLIP when the referral A) was profitable and B) will lead to additional projects or on-going work. And if the Client was fun to work with, that may move a WDB from Home Run to Grand Slam.

2. Lisa McGuire
    June 12, 2020 | 9:23 am

I mark a We Did Business as a Grand Slam when the project or service will make a great impact on their business. It’s not as much about what I earn as it is the way they can grow their business from taking action by developing the foundational message they need or how far they build out their sales funnel.

3. Ray Evans
    June 12, 2020 | 10:06 am

For me, Home Runs are typically measured by transactions, client responses, and repeat business. When we can move a client to become a Raving Fan, that’s definitely a Home Run. I also look at my team’s performance in relation of clients expectations, wants, and needs. To generate desired results, my focus has to be on processes and tightening the clients experience.

4. Michelle Risdon
    June 12, 2020 | 10:35 am

I offer my individual clients Rapid Transformational Therapy (RTT), a method of hypnotherapy that produces results in 1 to 3 sessions (my clients do not need lengthy packages). A GRAND SLAM for me is when I reach people on a wider scale, by being hired to do a workshop for a group, school or business. My workshops always include how to effectively dialogue with the mind, a guided group hypnosis, and how to use self-hypnosis for personal growth. I offer workshops on stress and anxiety management, weight management, confidence, overcoming fear of public speaking, or any tailored topic of interest.

5. Persephone Galambos
    June 12, 2020 | 10:58 am

As a Realtor, a Grand Slam is many times less about the amount of money and more about how quickly and how much a client is able to trust the process and go with all the ups and downs of the process of buying or selling a home. A grand slam is having a client that can hear what I have to say and process it. Also, the real estate process can be a long one depending on specific circumstances and clients so the more quickly that I get to close on real estate with a client the more likely it is a grand slam.

6. Jason Shaffer
    June 12, 2020 | 1:02 pm

Two clients come to mind to help illustrate a Grand Slam referral for me…

1. Mr. Geary owns his own business, so he had a need for personal insurance to protect his family and for key-man business to ensure the survival and protection of his business. We’ll also soon be discussing Disability Income. He now refers to me as his insurance guy to help with all future family insurance needs.

2. Shaeron – Long story short, they had been shopping for insurance and I earned her and her husband’s business. Next, they wanted me to write policies for their 2 adult kids. Then, they wanted a children’s policy for their grandson, and recently they wanted a children’s policy for the newest family addition… their granddaughter!

A referral connection to a family or small business owner which leads to becoming the trusted Insurance Guy to help with multiple current and future needs is a grand slam for me.

7. Steven Perry
    June 12, 2020 | 1:12 pm

The grand slam is the case that initially presents a tough case with complex tax issues. The client is cooperative and becomes a recurring client. They also refer new business to me that become recurring clients.

8. DeAndre Lambert
    June 13, 2020 | 2:14 pm

I check grand slam based on the number of services/products the new client is using and if their is repeat business so they are contributing periodically.

9. Stacey Brustein
    June 14, 2020 | 1:54 pm

I check grand slam If I close a loan in a reasonable amount of time and has the potential for referrals & or future business. Also when they give me a great score on the survey they fill out after closing so I can share that on social media to continue to build credibility. Also lets me know I really helped them and provided them with great service.

10. Tony De Feria
    June 15, 2020 | 9:15 am

One every we did business, I check On base when a customer orders a car since they pay a 10% down payment to authorize the purchase of a specific vehicle I have identified at auction. Then I fill out a second we did business grand slam is checked when they come to pick up their car. At that moment they come with a certified check from their personal account or finance arm. Since the average purchase check is around $35,000 (price of the car, taxes, registration) it is a total grand slam!

11. Ken Schmanski
    June 15, 2020 | 7:24 pm

As a publisher of community magazines, I provide a service that profits the local businesses through their sponsored ads, and benefits the community with an informative interesting magazine. My Grand Slam is an ad campaign that benefits the local businesses, the 6,000 families, and the publisher. A triple benefit. A 36-month ad campaign for a content sponsorship, location-specific ads or as an Expert Contributor benefits the businesses by allowing maximum branding and business growth at the lowest possible cost with 36 months at the price of 24. 36-month campaigns result in the highest renewal rate due to maximum branding benefit for the sponsoring businesses. Long term sponsorship campaigns allow the readers to get well acquainted with the best local businesses. An exciting grand slam by the home team in the bottom of the eighth inning is enriched by pulling off a triple play in the top of the ninth. Ken Schmanski, publisher with Best Version Media, rooting for the home team, their fans and their sponsors.

12. Stefon Mason
    June 15, 2020 | 8:18 pm

There are two variables that prompts me to choose a ” We did Business” slip as a Grand Slam
    1) The dollar amount of the business
    2) The time spent to close the business.
    These two variables are key components in my opinion to label a “We did Business” slip as a grand slam.

13. Le'Moine Washington
    June 16, 2020 | 8:22 am

A grand slam for me is when I am able to utilize resources I have that will provide a complete solution for the referral that yields good fruit for them as opposed to simply “making a sale”. This could result in the referral becoming a referral.

14. Dr. Michael Axt
    June 16, 2020 | 10:42 am

As a chiropractor checking the grand slam indicates that not only was the referral great to work with, but they became a referral source as well. These types of referrals are what keeps the doors open and help spread the word to the community about the quality or work we do 🙂

15. Eric Sapoznik
    June 17, 2020 | 5:39 pm

For me I try to help all my clients the same, whether I know in advance if it will be on-base, home run or grand slam. My goal is to help my clients the best that I can and get them into a space that not only fits their business but also allows them to grow and thrive. I try not to focus on the commission, like many other commercial real estate agents will do, my focus is on my clients and getting them into the best place for them to grow their business. I have seen many times how the right space can help a business to thrive better than ever before, and I want to help all of my clients to achieve that. One of my clients leased a space with warehouse, then had to grow into that warehouse, then had to add another level to that warehouse, and recently they leased the next-door space. Many times before we get started I have a good idea of where that connection may fall on the We Did Business Slip, but that doesn’t change how much effort I put into working with them because I’m hoping that the on-base ones will refer me to someone else, which will turn that on-base to a home run or more! My focus isn’t always on the commission, but just for myself I also try to calculate my rate per hour at the end of the process, so if it is a home run sized deal but takes over 16 months it may drop down to on-base, but if it is a home run that takes a month to get done, then it may become a grand slam.

16. Matt Hoffman
    June 18, 2020 | 11:07 am

As an IT company with the tagline “We Keep IT Simple“, we consider a referral to be a Grand Slam when the managed service allows us to be their IT department.

It is at this level of service that we can have the greatest impact on their organization. The ability to help guide them through technology obstacles, simplify their processes, reducing costs, and handling the infrastructure that keeps them running is where we shine. It’s a Grand Slam for both sides, the customer and Frontline Technology.

17. Gaye Phillips
    June 18, 2020 | 11:46 am

I check Grand Slam when a customer signs up for more than one service. For example, a website and email marketing or social media marketing. This customer will typically add-on additional services as they see the value these services bring to their business.

18. Amy Terry
    June 18, 2020 | 5:55 pm

I check off Grand Slam when a client does both checking and a loan. The loan is going to be more profitable but attached with the checking then the client is more likely to add additional products down the road. My best example is I had a PowerCore referral that took almost a year before we did business but the client has been with Renasant now for about 4 years. He has business and personal checking, car loans, business loans, our enhanced on line banking and PPP loan. Truly one of my Best Clients.

19. Stacie Szell
    June 18, 2020 | 8:49 pm

I’ve built my business on an hourly rate, so I can provide my clients with design services based on their need. “On Base” would be a a one-time meeting, like a color consultation for an interior or exterior paint project. “Home Run” would be a consultation where I meet with a client for a 2-4 hour meeting – staging their home for sale or providing direction and ideas for how to help them get a plan together to move forward on space-planning ideas or decorating suggestions for them to implement on their own. A “Grand Slam” is a client who requires multiple meetings to help with on-going renovations or complete room renovations which require my advice in every decision.

20. DeWitte Thompson, III
    June 19, 2020 | 6:57 am

There are a couple of different ways I would classify a referral as a Grand Slam. For the most part, any corporate wellness contract I work on will be a Grand Slam based on duration, monetary amount, as well as the referral opportunity. Based on the way I structure my offerings for in person clients, I would also classify a Grand Slam as someone that commits to training 3-4 times a week (or more) for a 6 month or longer package.

21. Madeline Chryst
    June 19, 2020 | 8:26 am

I would classify a Grand Slam in two ways. The first would be a combo of the dollar amount combined with the time spent to close. If I can close it in less then 6 weeks and it is profitable then it is a grand slam. Another thing that would classify a grand slam would be if it turned into multiple other jobs.