The 4th Dimension

What to DO to GET Referrals
Rectangle: The Shape of Your Deposits| The 4th Dimension
Conversation lead by the: Newnan Team

and Take a look at a We Did Business slip. What do new clients want to know before they decide to do business with you?

How long do they take, as a general rule, to evaluate and decide?

When you get an introduction that takes more than a year to turn into a client, what is the delay about?

14 Responses to The 4th Dimension
  1. Danny Nungesser
    June 19, 2020 | 10:00 am

New clients want to know my level of professionalism and knowledge. They are also looking to see if I can improve their situation by way of communication, guidance or tax implications. (not just their rate of return)
    Usually prospects become clients on the second visit. The first visit is fact finding to make sure I can help them and they are using that first meeting to see if I know what I’m talking about and can be trusted..
    I’ve had referrals that take longer than a year to become clients and the delay is usually because they haven’t retired yet. As a Retirement Income Certified Professional through the American College, there’s some prep work with assets that may take years to implement when you are thinking about the optimal retirement strategy.

2. Jackie Campbell
    June 19, 2020 | 11:33 am

Buying or selling a home is usually due to a life change–whether a family is growing or shrinking or just relocating. I have noticed that the clients who are interviewing agents want to know that they whatever their objective is in the moment–whether it’s to meet a deadline, a financial goal, or make life easier for someone by helping them recapture more time in their day–the agent who can advise on how to accomplish the goal is the one who wins the opportunity. It can take a while to pull the trigger when lifestyle changes are under consideration, so it’s a process that requires patience and respect. They not officially become a client until it’s “go time” but we have to assume that they will be from the moment we first meet, and start thinking about what is in their best interest from the beginning.

3. Adrienne McDaniel
    June 19, 2020 | 1:54 pm

Because the majority of my clients come to me by way of a trusted referral, they tend to feel a sense of associated trust from the start. It is important that upon initial contact, that I build rapport and demonstrate expertise.
    Purchasing a home is an extensive process and can sometimes take several months. During this time, it is imperative that I keep in touch and make myself available to the clients’ needs.
    Usually if a transaction takes up to a year or more, it is because the client has obstacles to overcome in order to become an eligible borrower.

4. Dr. Philip Bruce Crane
    June 20, 2020 | 2:57 pm

New patients want to know if I can help them, how much it costs, and if I accept their insurance.
    It depends on how bad they’re feeling, but it usually averages about 2-4 weeks for them to evaluate and decide if they want to schedule an appointment.
    Sometimes the delay is about finances; however, most of the time when it takes more than a year, it’s because they have a hard time believing what I do. When they finally come in, they’re sorry they waited so long.

5. Nathan Mejia
    June 22, 2020 | 4:07 pm

A client usually wants to know pricing upfront with me before deciding on doing business or not. That is a double edged sword for me on the one hand some people are just looking for the cheapest option out there, but I sell on value not price. I like to build the value not only into my company but in my product, my product is not for everyone but I believe I do a well enough job explaining it for people to want what I believe in. So the length of time from pitch to close varies for me, if the need is immediate or is this a planning stage. So if introduction to close takes more than a year it is usually we need to plan this out and do it on our terms not the help I have an emergency and I need your services yesterday.

6. David Jennings
    June 22, 2020 | 8:25 pm

In the Landscaping business, people often want to know if I can come do their yard that day! But the other clients I have to cultivate the relationship. My best clients are women my age and older, who own their own homes, and live either on 2 or more acres, or on a golf course. They are used to having things look just so, which is good, because I have a great deal of experience in making the yard look ‘just so’. These are my favorite clients because they know their budget, but they are never price buyers. So I provide a few references to previous clients to help convince them to come on board. – Dave Jennings

7. Aimee Zahora
    June 24, 2020 | 4:59 pm

New clients have all sorts of questions before they decide to do business with me. Here are some of the common questions I hear.

*How long does it take before I start seeing sales from my Facebook ads?
    *Can I have a Facebook business page that is not connected to my personal Facebook page?
    *Do you post the blogs you ghost-write or just ghost-write the blogs?
    *Should I be on Twitter?
    *Should I be on Instagram?
    *Should I be on LinkedIn?
    *Do you do websites?
    *Can you refer me to someone who does websites?
    *What’s the difference between curated posts and original posts?
    *How much do you charge?
    *Are you willing to negotiate on price?
    *When do you require payment?
    *How do you accept payment?

New clients take anywhere from a week to four months to evaluate and decide to do business with me.

I have not yet received an introduction that takes more than a year to turn into a client. But, I look forward to navigating that delay when that opportunity comes along.

8. R.J. Grimes
    June 24, 2020 | 6:55 pm

The number one thing new/potential clients always want to know right off the bat is: “How much will it cost?”

The short answer is: ~$250 – $350 per edited minute, and all video projects start at $500. 50% Deposit is requested up front to secure a film date.

Clients tend to decide quickly whether they’re interested in continuing or not. People who say, [paraphrase] “I’ll be in contact soon. I’ve got a few things to prepare first,” most often never call back.

Any time there’s a client who’s had a long period of time between introduction and their decision to move forward, it’s most often because of money, and an uncertainty about how it will ultimately turn out, or how to effectively leverage their video, after they receive it.

Small businesses have limited marketing budgets, and professional video advertising for “the little guy” is relatively new, still, compared with more traditional marketing, “vehicles.” While they love the idea of video marketing, they sometimes see the cost of a marketing video as an expensive and potentially risky investment.

9. clarence bolden
    June 24, 2020 | 10:08 pm

80% of new clients meet me first on the telephone or through an email. They have been referred to me and want to know a couple of things: how much are you going to charge me and will I have to pay more taxes. I tell them my fee depends on how complex their return is but it will be fair. If the client tells me they were customers of H&R Block or another national outfit, I offer them a 10% discount on what they paid to Block the previous year.
    I invite them to set a time to come in to talk about their tax concerns.
    Clients always bring their last year’s return and current tax information. I begin that day working with them and usually complete basic returns during that session. My clients usually take a few minutes to decide I am the one to work on their tax return. I have not experienced a year delay but if I had one I would stay in touch with the potential client throughout that year passing on current tax benefits for them.

10. Emily Webb
    June 25, 2020 | 11:22 am

As a rule, a majority of my new clients are brought to our office through a third party (either a lender or a real estate agent) and they do not generally ask questions prior to the decision to use my office to facilitate their closings. However, those that do always want to know an estimated cost for closing with our firm. Clients for Estate and Will Planning will inquire into knowledge and ability to represent them in said legal matters and will also inquire into price.

Estate and Probate clients generally decide within an hour (or less) of our initial consultation to move forward with working with our firm.

If a client takes longer than a year to determine if they would like to move forward with our firm’s representation on any matter, the delay is generally caused by simply putting the decision to the side (such as making decisions on the necessary information needed to prepare a will or other estate planning documents) or even finding availability or time to come execute the documents after we meet to review them. With regard to real estate matters, if we have a client that takes longer than a year to close, it is generally due to property title issues that have to be cleared or they are searching for the right property.

11. Joel Haskell
    June 25, 2020 | 11:02 pm

My customers first want to know whether they need a new roof or if they can get by with a repair. Secondly they want to know price or if it is covered by insurance.
    As a general rule a client can decide immediately based upon my evaluation of their roof. An insurance claim can be filed quickly also.
    Typically any delay will be caused by lack of funds, or desire to wait on further storms to file for insursnce.

12. Donna Jennings
    June 26, 2020 | 7:24 am

Most of my clients come to me by word-of-mouth for help with relationships, weight loss, mindset or productivity.
    They have already met someone who has gotten results, so they want to know how the program works.
    What can they expect?
    How many sessions?
    How long is each session?
    What will we do, specifically, in our work together?
    Most of the time, That conversation is them getting a sense of who I am, their comfort level, and how they feel based on our initial interaction. Similar to kicking the tires and test driving a vehicle one may want to purchase.
    Most clients pay and schedule their first session at that initial consultation.
    When a client takes longer to pull the trigger, even several months, it typically has been about their readiness to go all in to get their results. Clients soon realize my program and approach are unlike any other they have experienced. Which is why friends tell friends about Donna Jennings Coaching.

13. Cassi Williams
    June 26, 2020 | 7:57 am

Just like most businesses, everyone wants to know the cost. Something else I have found is hey want to talk to the technician who diagnosed the issue with their car. They want it explained to them, they want to see it with their own eyes. It gives them confidence in not only our technical ability, but also our honesty. The more serious problems can not wait to be fixed, so there isnt usually much time between first contact and us completing the repair. If there is a delay it is almost always money related…they are saving up because the repair is costly, etc. The only time I have seen a project take a year or more to complete is when it is performance upgrades. There are different stage tunes that can be put on a car that coincide with part upgrades. These projects require a lot of time because they have to be adjusted for each individual customer and car.

14. Quentin Kelley
    June 26, 2020 | 11:40 am

My prospective clients want to know the number of insurance companies I give them access to. They also want to know if I represent companies that they are familiar with. Usually, within days my client knows if they are going to use my insurance company or keep it moving. If I get an introduction that takes more than a year means they are just in the planning process of buying a vehicle or a home and would like to know some quotes that will help with the decision-making process.