Communicate

What to DO to GET Referrals
Prism: Lead the Field
Conversation lead by: the East Cobb Team

and Leadership includes communication.

Often communication is the thing clients complain about then they’re dissatisfied with a current vendor and open to a referral to you.

Share your communication principle, and a way you use this guideline in real life with clients.

16 Responses to Communicate
  1. Gerald Wessels
    November 6, 2020 | 9:52 am

Communication is one of the leading causes of complaints to the Georgia Real Estate Commission. Clients often note that they feel left out of the loop on their real estate transaction.

When I receive a referral, my goal is to contact them soon. If I’m able to help them with their real estate needs, my plan is to discover their favored mode of communication and to use it at least once every week. My goal is always to over communicate and allow my client to make decisions based on that information!

2. Wendy Kinney
    November 6, 2020 | 10:33 am

Phil Pennartz told me, over lunch, that I had a reputation for not returning my phone calls. “If you don’t fix that you won’t have a business.”

Gosh, I’m grateful to him.

When I receive the gift of any communication – phone, email, text — the next thing I do is return it. If I have time to read it, I have time to respond.

Often when a prospective Member fills in the form on the website I’ll be in the car and get the email notification on my phone – so I click and call them. (I figure they’re available right then, so it’s good timing.) They are surprised! And pleased! Which makes me happy! It’s a good cycle.

3. Samir Scott Virani
    November 9, 2020 | 11:50 am

Once a client has chosen me to list their home for sale(one of the biggest transactions of their life for most people), I believe they deserve clear transparency of the process and that can only be done with clear and truthful communication.

I prepare a full update before 5pm on Monday on all activity over the last week including open house activity from the weekend, this is sent to them via email. I follow up with them the next morning(Tuesday) using the mode of communication they prefer phone/text or email. We discuss what has happened and most important what the next steps are to get their home sold. My clients state that they feel comfortable thru out the process of the sale of their home.

4. April Murray
    November 10, 2020 | 8:52 am

I realize that each situation is unique and communication is paramount. My objective is to take the time to listen to my clients about their goals, and then offer education and advice so they are confident in their decisions.

I understand the complexities of purchasing or refinancing a home and use that information to guide clients through the mortgage process via clear communication and transparency.

5. Erik Chambers
    November 10, 2020 | 10:54 am

If someone is having to retain a family law attorney, it often comes with a fair amount of anxiety, stress, and strong emotions. The last thing I need to do is add to a client’s anxiety, stress, or emotional outlook by not timely responding to his or her communications.

Several years ago, someone told me a story of how someone in their firm had a client come and wait in the lobby until he could speak to his attorney because the attorney had not been answering any of his e-mails or phone calls. That is a nightmare scenario.

Therefore, my goal is to respond to clients by the end of the day, and in all events within 24 hours. Even if I am not able to address their particular concern at that moment, I can at least let them know when I expect to be able to do so, and this is usually enough to calm their frayed nerves. If I am in Court or mediation or otherwise out of the office such that I may not be able to respond, I make sure my out-of-office message lets them know when they can expect to hear back from me.

6. Raymond Grote lll
    November 10, 2020 | 10:25 pm

I learned in banking that even when I don’t have an answer or haven’t completed a task yet, communicating where things stand on a regular basis (even “no news) is important to clients. One of the things I hear most often from prospective clients is that they never know where things stand on their projects and they’re left scrambling if something doesn’t go as planned. For this reason, even when I have nothing to report, I keep my clients updated as to where things stand on an agreed-upon schedule, so they’re not left in the dark.

7. Rebecca Brizi
    November 11, 2020 | 6:13 am

Communication is about both form and substance.
    The form is the how, and I attempt to mirror the customer’s preference (email, phone, zoom, text). I am aware of the speed and timing of a response and I am most careful to being clear about when they can expect an answer or next step. Speed isn’t always paramount, but clarity is.
    Substance is the message, and my number one goal in all cases is to remove any element of mystery. What am I telling them, what does it mean for them, what action, if any, must they take, or what action should they expect from me.

8. Donna L Wise
    November 11, 2020 | 8:00 am

In shipping, many decisions are unfortunately left until the last minute and not part of their strategic planning. People don’t realize that, in order to get the best possible price and result, there is quite a bit of detail needed. Everything is urgent. I consider each opportunity to be a race. My goal is to be the most responsive of all the supplier partners a client has contacted. Even when I don’t have all the answers or the best options, my clients will know what I can do for them right away so they can move onto other more urgent matters.

9. Emma Donaldson
    November 11, 2020 | 8:03 am

While most therapists are excellent communicators inside the session, outside of the counseling room they tend to drop the ball. It’s common for some therapists to delay responding or just not respond at all if they are no longer accepting new clients.
    Regardless of my case load, I return inquiries within 24 hours and if I’m not taking new clients I refer them to someone who is.

10. John McColl
    November 11, 2020 | 8:33 am

My job is to educate my clients and prospects, so they understand why certain financial decisions are right for them. I want my clients to understand why they need to save a certain amount of money to earn their retirement. Communicating the “why” is how I lead my clients to a better financial future.

11. Dr. Jason Regis
    November 11, 2020 | 8:38 am

As we all know, the front desk IS your business. I rely on them especially my business manager to handle most communications because I am usually busy with our team members(patients). I am also copied in on these communications so that I am aware of the situation. Any messages are sent by email for me to organize and get back to them usually within a day. I also have scheduled breaks to decrease the time between responses. I am also clear with everyone that email is the best mode of communication.

12. Terry Gilbreath
    November 11, 2020 | 8:53 am

Communications is crucial in our business. For our Managed Services clients, our practice is to return calls, emails, text within 4 hours and be on site by remote access or physically the next business day. Often though we know there is an issue before the client does and we are letting them know about the issue.

For potential clients, referrals evaporate quickly. Here we return calls within 4 hours and if possible make a site visit the same day or next business day depending on urgency.

13. Stephen Dufour, II
    November 12, 2020 | 9:41 am

I always make it a point to set expectations up front about response time. That relieves alot of tension. Insurance is confusing to people. I don’t use fancy insurance terms when conversing with clients. I use real life examples or scenarios to paint a clear picture of what each policy does for them. The more information you give to the client up front, the better prepared they’ll be whenever they have a loss.

14. Brice Oglesby
    November 12, 2020 | 4:54 pm

I view educating the customer about the roof replacement process as one of my primary responsibilities to them. I always try to go out of my way to explain the insurance process as well as the construction process as it relates to roof replacement. I try to anticipate customer concerns, whether they be common or unique to a specific customer. A home is for many people one of their largest investments and a roof is a major part of that and I try to communicate to my customers that I understand that.

15. Zac DeDominicis
    November 13, 2020 | 8:13 am

“WHO YOU ARE IS SPEAKING SO LOUDLY
    THAT I CAN’T HEAR WHAT YOU’RE SAYING”
    ~ RALPH WALDO EMERSON

If who you are isn’t lining up with how you’re talking,
    people may never hear what you’re actually saying.

That’s why when it comes to communication,
    I endeavor to be authentic and real with all my clients.

16. Leslie Pierce
    November 13, 2020 | 12:52 pm

The complaint I hear most often about tax professionals is that you can never get ahold of them or get them to return calls. Specifically because of this, I try to call or email clients or prospects back within 24 hours even if it is to tell them I am still working on their issue. I know I personally feel better when I am a customer just to know the person I am doing business with cares enough to let me know they haven’t forgotten me.