Professional: Precise – Communicate

Leadership includes communication.

• Often communication is the thing clients complain about then they’re dissatisfied with a current vendor and open to a referral to you.
    • Share your communication principle, and a way you use this guideline in real life with clients.
platform: What to DO to GET Referrals
program: Professional
pin:  Precise
point:  Communicate

Referral Trigger for the week of January 11, 2021

17 Responses to Professional: Precise – Communicate
  1. Ricky Guida
    January 8, 2021 | 9:08 am

One principle I try to live by is that bad news doesn’t get better with age. If there are issues, it’s important to surface them sooner than later so that they can be addressed. Customers (and people in general) understand that issues will occur, and that they can generally be figured out if they are known. Finding out too late or after the fact can create a lack of trust and make the situation far worse.

2. Susan Pulse
    January 8, 2021 | 9:47 am

In my line of work, some Agents are content to have transactional customers, taking the strategy of ‘once and done’, rarely connecting with them again, if ever. I prefer to get to know people, create long-lasting relationships, and adding value. The only way to do this is through continuous communication, respect for their story and gaining trust. Beyond the yearly review or their birthday, I proactively connect with clients multiple times a year as people’s circumstances change constantly. I serve my clients better by keeping the conversation going, and thereby continually moving the needle closer toward reaching their goals. My role is to guide, educate, and ask questions so they understand the options, recognize what meets their need, and comprehend the value of the recommendations I present. Insurance is not a one-size-fits-all form of risk management and without open and honest communication, I’m just an order-taker, waiting for calls to come in or running quotes, never to fully understand what the customer want to accomplish – and that is not how I chose to run my business.

3. Joe Gottlieb
    January 8, 2021 | 10:31 am

For many years I have had a direct phone number. Clients are often caught off guard that I have personally answered their call. Lack of communication is the most common criticism of attorneys so I work hard to distinguish myself in that area. I also answer client e-mails 7 days a week. I strongly believe that as a trusted advisor, I need to meet the highest expectations of accessibility from my clients and that principal has served me well in over 40 years of practice.

4. Mary Ann Staff
    January 8, 2021 | 10:34 am

In banking, some bankers are content to have transactional customers. They don’t necessarily look at a customer as a long time relationship. I prefer to get to know my clients, create long-lasting relationships. I listen to their needs and try to provide solutions. It is important to me that they trust me and I become their trusted advisor. The only way to do this is to let them know I am here for them and will do everything to resolve any issues they may experience. My role is to guide, educate, and ask questions so they understand the options, recognize what meets their need, and comprehend the value of the recommendations I present. Banking is not a one-size-fits-all and open and honest
    communication is important. When my client calls, I am there to lend a helping hand. I treat my clients the way I want to be treated.

5. Alberto Sapoznik
    January 8, 2021 | 10:39 am

I love what I do!
    I help people / businesses find their business home! As such, I make sure I learn about what they have, that they like… and what they don’t have, that they want. Their version of haves & wants. I can then help them get everything possible that is currently available in the marketplace.
    People remember when you respect what is important for them, and help them get it! So, I tend to work with the same clients, whenever their lease, may be coming up for renewal.

6. Jeff Buchweitz
    January 8, 2021 | 10:46 am

Because my business is solely based on referrals, I’ve always felt the need to over communicate with all parties associated with the loan I have in process. That includes the borrower, the referral partner and the listing agent. Atlantic Bay has an automated system to provide timely updates on loans, however, I feel like a direct phone call to each party once a week lets them know that I am personally involved on the file from application to closing. My clients and referral partners know that they are free to call, text or email me anytime and can trust that I’ll respond in a timely manner. Financing a home is probably the biggest financial decision my clients will make and I want them to know that I’m always available to answers questions regarding their loan.

7. Laurie Nolan
    January 8, 2021 | 11:23 am

Within my industry, competition is such that if I am a failure at communicating with clients, mortgage professionals, etc, they will look elsewhere. I love my work, and want to ensure that those I’m working with are properly insured, and that they have a real grasp of their coverages/policies. My goal is the cultivating of relationships, not one and one type of business.

8. Jeanie Clinkscales
    January 10, 2021 | 3:16 pm

As a realtor, I continuously communicate with current, past and prospective clients. Failure to communicate is the biggest complaint I hear about other realtors. Beyond the birthday card and the buyers’ anniversary gift and the seasonal “pop bys” I do several times a year, I also make it a priority to call all past, current and prospective clients once a quarter. This allows me to keep abreast of my clients’ current circumstances and future needs.
    When working with sellers, I update them on buyers’ feedback whenever their house is shown. In this way, my sellers are always aware of what prospective buyers are saying about their house. This constant communication can ease the way to a price correction or point toward a needed house repair. I look at all of my clients as clients for life. When I communicate with them regularly, I am able to stay top of mind and anticipate their needs.

9. Dr. Nikki Hirshowitz
    January 11, 2021 | 8:10 am

Within the years I have been in practice I have realized that communication and education never stops. Just because you’ve said something to a patient repeatedly doesn’t mean they grasp the whole picture. We can only retain so much per each conversation. With that being said I don’t believe there could ever be too much communication. Long standing patients know that I’m very direct with my communication and that I always make sure that there isn’t any questions at the end of our visits, which I believe has helped me tremendously achieve the kind of communication I want in my practice.

10. Wendy Kinney
    January 11, 2021 | 5:41 pm

A few years ago I learned the
    Good News to Groups/Bad News 1:1 principle – that made sense to me, and its corollary,
    Good News for Eyes/Bad News for Ears.
    That one was a little harder to process because I am not a ‘talk on the phone’ person.

I learned to be when I logged results.
    My results are better when there is a conversation than when there is abbreviated reply.

More recently I’ve learned the principle “Communication is what the listener does” from Mark Horstman and that has made it easier to pick up the phone – because it’s not about what I say. It’s about the listener’s understanding and response.

So grateful to have these guiderails.

11. Karen Williams
    January 11, 2021 | 8:14 pm

I agree with Ricky… nothing negative gets better with time. The more rapidly you deal with bad news, the faster you get to a solution, and the faster your client is aware that they are important enough for you to step up and address the good as well as the bad… they have to do it and the fact that you demonstrate this principal indicates that you take them seriously. Additionally, its important that YOU do it…if is bad news you need step up directly.. its your business.. passing it off on a co-worker or subordinate makes you look bad with your customer and your co-workers and employees.

As for good news, give your staff and your team an opportunity to spread good news…. they are often the reason for the good news and it gives you the opportunity to let them know that you see what they do…and get the credit for it
    Karen Brown Williams

12. Ben Battell
    January 13, 2021 | 7:58 am

“There are no stupid questions”
    Technology is a moving target with way too many anacronyms and high costs on some items. Detailed and upfront communication is critical to help clients feel comfortable. One principal I live by is “there is never a stupid question” All questions are an opportunity to clarify and demystify technology and gives a glimpse into how they are looking at the situation. The result is deeper trust and partnership over time.

13. Mason Hardin
    January 13, 2021 | 8:55 am

Similar to others here I have learned that it’s best to get in front of bad news and speak with the client about strategies as soon as possible. This goes a long way to retaining trust. I have also found it is best to give bad news either face to face or over the phone. That way you can immediately address any concerns the client may have about the situation.

Good news is much easier and can generally be shared through email with the client reading it at their leisure.

14. Evan Williams
    January 13, 2021 | 11:56 am

Communication is the undercurrent of anything related to Video Production. The goal of any video? Communicate a message. Producing the video? Communicate what we need to make it happen. On set? Effectively communicate what you need for each shot.

It involves being able to listen to all the different voices coming in, adding your input, and then sharing that newer bigger goal. I really think that the main skill you need for my job, even beyond the technical or creative ones.

15. Terisha Tatter
    January 13, 2021 | 10:37 pm

Most studios don’t make a habit of giving out instructors phone numbers-and certainly there is a front desk for scheduling. Since I own my studio and I do all the scheduling I actually got rid of my office line several years ago because all my clients contacted me on my cell phone! I am a texting queen and clients know that it’s faster than email for me. I love checking on them the next day or later that evening with an encouraging message. I tell my clients that if they have a question it’s not a problem to contact me anytime-even if it’s at 2am if they want, because they won’t bother me-my phone is off. I make myself available for text and short phone communications in the evening and weekends too. I have trained my clients that I would rather have notice on the weekends for a Tuesday cancellation rather than waiting until Monday morning. I check on them when I know they are sick or have other family concerns and I genuinely enjoy communicating with them. It makes us feel like family and builds trust and rapport. When there has been a rare problem, that’s when a phone call is necessary..can’t pick up tone and pitch in a text or email.

16. Amanda Walker
    January 14, 2021 | 7:28 am

As a people-person, I pride myself on keeping open communication with my clients. I’ve found that all my clients appreciate this, and if someone prefers minimal communication I can easily get a feel for that. I’ve found that it is fun an exciting, especially for my commission clients, to get updates on their painting of their child or dog along the way.
    The continuous communication create comfort in the relationship between us so that they feel free to express their thoughts on a second commission for their collection or a referral.
    Also, I love sharing good news so do that more often than not, and I also do not delay when there is bad news so that I can find a solution for my client as soon as possible.
    Communicate with me today and pick my brain with all the questions you’ve ever had about commissioning artwork!
    Amand Walker Fine Art

17. Jayden Doye
    January 14, 2021 | 8:11 am

The core values of my company are community, integrity & value. I abide by these same values in my communication with clients. I have created community by starting a group coaching program to assist my client to implement profit first, a cash flow method that forces a business to be profitable. I use integrity to tell my clients what they need to hear not want they want to hear regarding accounting and taxes. I provide value by giving my clients all my attention during our consultations. They can ensure my time is blocked off by booking an appointment using a link I provide them.

Jayden Doye