Perspective: Pronouns – Referral responsibility

The pronoun “we” makes referrals risky because
it introduces an unknown person, with unknown performance skills.

• To stimulate referrals switch “we” to “I”.
    • Share a story that showcases taking personal responsibility
      for a client.
platform: What to SAY to GET Referrals
program: Perspective
pin:  Pronouns
point:  Referral Responsibility

Referral Trigger for the week of February 15, 2021

18 Responses to Perspective: Pronouns – Referral responsibility
  1. Michael Smith
    February 12, 2021 | 9:00 am

Personal responsibility is the cornerstone of my business. When I sign an agreement with a client, one of the things I discuss is that my phone number is the only one they will need. It is my responsibility to make sure the project is executed properly. There are many other reasons for this approach, but clear lines of responsibility and communication are critical.

When problems occur, I answer their call. When schedules change, I let my client know. And as my business grows, my project managers will be charged with the same responsibility, but my clients will always be able to connect with me.

Mike Smith
    Momentum Construction
    (404) 551-4368

2. Jon Ongtingco
    February 12, 2021 | 9:14 am

A client asked for Webcam recommendations close to the outset of our lock down. Very few options were available at that time and he had only bad options. He used that Webcam until it failed and called me in a panic because he had a very important Zoom meeting that night. I took my Webcam to him and made certain that his important night went off without a hitch.

3. Rhonda Sterrett
    February 12, 2021 | 10:10 am

When I build a website I talk to the client about the importance of a Care Plan to take care of the website. It is an asset. More websites are getting hacked than ever before. I give my clients the opportunity to choose a Care Plan where we do offsite backups and update the theme and any plugins, as well as add software to their site that detects when someone is trying to attack them and thwarts it off. If they choose not to use the Care Plan then I make sure they are clear that they are responsible to ensure that the site stays clean. Education is key is in this endeavor.
    Rhonda Sterrett
    i360 Group
    Quality Website Solutions

4. David Arnold
    February 12, 2021 | 10:25 am

When an owner decides to sell their home and hires me to represent them, I take personal responsibility in all aspects of the sale. Sellers don’t want different “team” members handling various duties. They want one person who understands and is engaged in every part of the selling process. From the beginning market analysis to preparing the home to marketing pieces to the closing I am the point person. I am happy to bring in additional expertise, but I never relinquish the direct responsibility and understanding of every step until the sale is finished.

David Arnold
    REMAX Around Atlanta
    770-312-5759
    David@HomerunAtlanta.com

5. Jim Duelmer
    February 12, 2021 | 10:57 am

When working with clients on both refinances and purchases I start the process by answering all of their questions and make sure that they know I can be reached at anytime. While several people are involved in insuring a mortgage loan is successfully originated, processed, underwritten and closed, I have hired and trained an incredible team that is dedicated to delivering clients the best mortgage experience possible. I take pride in always being accountable and my commitment to excellent customer service in unwavering.

Jim Duelmer
    Vinings Mortgage
    A Division of Bank Of England
    678-626-1922
    jduelmer@viningsmortgage.com

6. Devona Downer
    February 12, 2021 | 8:16 pm

As an insurance agent, I have and will continue to provide families and businesses with the fundamentals necessary to manage their risks while fulfilling their goals and dreams. I believe it is important to take a comprehensive and holistic approach to your insurance and financial needs before I make any recommendations on their lifestyle picture. I am truly passionate about protecting what matters to you most!

Devona Downer Morris
    Downer Morris Agency
    678-996-5000
    admin@domoagency.com

7. Patrick Rodman
    February 16, 2021 | 9:36 am

The best example of this is when I am talking to a new client I am the one that is telling the crew that will be preforming the work what to do and what not to do, when they are expected to begin and complete the work, and that quality control falls squarely on my shoulders.

8. Melissa Beaird
    February 16, 2021 | 1:39 pm

I not only take personal responsibility for my clients pets but also their house. I have pulled up to a clients house before to find an unexpected car in the driveway. I Have called the client to see if they were expecting anyone. They were so appreciative that I went the extra mile to look out for their house as well. As a pet sitter I always take full responsibility for my clients pets and home.

9. Louis Beltrami
    February 16, 2021 | 3:37 pm

When handling a real estate closing for a client, we want the closing to start and end on time and we also want it to be a smooth process. I take responsibility to look at a file and anticipate anything that might be a challenge for that file, so that we can be proactive to address the issue early. Sometimes that is an extra phone call, sometimes it is some extra research, but whatever it takes I make sure to handle it or ensure that someone in my office does. The goal is for them to leave saying how easy the closing process was.

10. Jim Hilber
    February 17, 2021 | 6:57 pm

I know how merchants feel. I have felt the same frustration. I have found and continue to find the best payment solutions that business owners that get referred to me strive for.
    I am armed with viable payments solutions. I am sworn to service and protect local business owners. And I am fighting for good in the merchant payments arena.
    Previously only available to big businesses, I make the services of the overwhelming payments industry and cost-saving benefits available to the small and medium size local merchants. I never let the thought of sale get in the way of what is best for my clients.
    I am a Certified Payments Professional. I will personally demonstrate and share the facts and figures that will help a qualified referral make a profitable decision.
    I am a Merchant Gladiator that shares the facts. Finally.

11. Brock Cline
    February 18, 2021 | 6:56 am

For one of my services I commonly partner with several service providers like benefits, 401k, workers comp, etc. For my largest national account I introduced this offering by stating that I will be the point person for the relationship and then was able to make introductions for the parties listed above. It also allows me to make new introductions as needed going forward.

12. Rhonda Jones
    February 18, 2021 | 7:00 am

Personal responsibility is key to how I service clients. I believe it is important to invest my time in understanding the goals clients are working toward before investing their money. The financial world can sometimes feel like foreign territory; I work one-on-one with clients to help determine the most appropriate financial strategy for each individual and their family.

Rhonda Jones, Financial Advisor
    Edward Jones Investments
    2453 Powder Springs Rd.
    Ste 315, Marietta, GA 30064
    Office 678-567-0541
    Cell 678-425-8017

13. Mark Chase
    February 18, 2021 | 7:13 am

Taxes and Financials are supposed to tell the story that fits the client’s experience over the period of time. I take a concerted effort to make sure the finished product fits their story. If the numbers, when translated back into a narrative, doesn’t have the client nodding their head, it means I either need to explain the calculation better, or we are missing a piece of the narrative.

Mark Chase, CPA, CGMA
    Chase CPA, LLC
    678-234-9161

14. Joy Edwards
    February 18, 2021 | 7:30 am

At the Edwards Law Group, we take on the ugly in family law cases so our clients don’t have to. When a potential client comes to me, I make sure to tell that what MY background is in family law and that I take great pride in each client’s case being handled individually instead of cookie cutter. Most client appreciate the individuality of the process, even if it costs a bit more. It’s how I take Personal responsibility with each client’s situation.

15. Jeff Thompson
    February 18, 2021 | 8:36 am

A homeowner has an old roof and insurance through one of the tougher agencies for getting roofs approved. I was able to have the roof inspected by insurance three times. The third inspection time was changed by the adjuster multiple different times. On the day of the inspection, the adjuster switched times and left me little time to make it. I dropped what I was doing, and I got the roof bought.

16. Nate Sampson
    February 18, 2021 | 6:59 pm

Responsible communication is paramount throughout the entire home inspection process and thereafter. As a sole proprietor, I ensure that each client and their referring real estate agents have a clear understanding of the inspection process from start to finish. I am also readily available to answer any questions and discuss items contained in the inspection report for well after the process is complete. Responsible communication is how I ensure a smooth inspection experience for my client and their referring real estate agent.

Nate Sampson
    CPI® Certified Inspector

Checklist Home Inspection LLC

17. Linda Loud
    March 12, 2021 | 11:16 am

At Mary Kay “we” have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, but “I” am the one that implements it for my clients. Bridget called me shortly after Christmas wanting to take me up on my Satisfaction Guarantee and exchange a TimeWise Day Solution that she didn’t want, for her new favorite product: Hydrogel Eye Patches. But the Day Solution was a gift that her daughter had purchased from another consultant. I knew that product was discontinued several years ago and what she had was probably expired. Sure enough it expired in Oct of 2019 so the other consultant should not have ever sold it. I accepted it anyway and figured if the company denied my product replacement request that I would just take the loss because Bridget has been a loyal client for almost 6 years. I explained what happened to the company, they accepted my request and Bridget got what she wanted. Win-Win is the Mary Kay Way!